Contact us to find out how we can help you
Passing your driving test puts the power in your hands, letting you go where you want when you want to. The stress that leads up to it, however, can often be too much. In the UK, men fail around half of their tests, whilst women fail around 57%, costing learners more than £40 million per year, according to Statista.
Whilst popular belief suggests that driving tests are becoming increasingly difficult, statistics show that pass rates are steadily rising over the last ten years, at least in the practical element of the test. However, similar statistics also show considerable fluctuations based on where tests have taken place. If you are learning to drive, taking the time to check where to take your test could save you time and money.
The areas with the highest pass rates…
Figures from the Driving and Vehicle Standards Agency show that perhaps unsurprisingly, test centres in the Scottish Highlands garner significantly higher success rates. Golspie, Mallaig and Ullapool all had pass rates of more than 75%.
In fact, the top ten was dominated by such areas, with the only non-Scottish Highlands areas in North Yorkshire. Malton and Whitby test centres have a 70% pass rate.
… and the lowest.
At the other end of the spectrum, the toughest centres with the lowest pass rates were found in much busier areas, such as London, Greater Manchester and the West Midlands. Shockingly, Belvedere in London has a woeful pass rate of just 28%.
Doing your research could get you passed and on the road in a much quicker time, especially in areas where it’s easy to travel a little further afield to do your test, like London.
Here’s the full list of the easiest and hardest centres to pass.
The easiest places;
- Golspie, Highland Council: 80% pass rate
- Mallaig, Highland Council: 77%
- Ullapool, Highland Council: 76%
- Duns, Scottish Borders: 76%
- Thurso, Highlands: 71%
- Kyle of Lochalsh, Highland Council: 71%
- Llandrindod Wells, Powys: 71%
- Malton, North Yorkshire: 70%
- Whitby, North Yorkshire: 70%
- Orkney, Orkney Islands Council: 70%
And the toughest…
- Belvedere, Greater London: 28% pass rate
- Garston, Liverpool: 30%
- Wanstead, Greater London: 32%
- Barnet, Greater London: 33%
- Erith, Greater London: 33%
- Cheetham Hill, Greater London: 33%
- Birmingham (South Yardley), West Midlands: 34%
- Wednesbury, West Midlands: 34%
- Salford (Fire Station), Greater Manchester: 35%
- Barking (Tanner Street), Greater London: 35%
Do you have your test booked? Or looking to get a few more lessons in first? Whatever your situation, insurance is a must. With lots of flexibility, our team at Weald can help you out. Call us now on 01959 565678.